Bottom Line: This Excel tutorial teaches you how to create a professional Gantt Chart template in Excel for your project planning and scheduling. The tutorial starts with the creation of a simple Excel Gantt Chart and then demonstrates how to add multiple advanced and interactive features step-by-step.
Skill Level: Advanced
A Gantt Chart is arguably the most widely used project planning tool. And Excel allows you to quickly setup a simple Gantt Chart, but you can also build a really outstanding version with many advanced features that make this a professional project planning and management tool.
This video tutorial teaches every single step on how to create such an advanced and professional Gantt Chart in Microsoft Excel. The techniques used cover advanced conditional formatting, multiple date-based Excel functions and formulas, drop down lists, and interactive form elements.
As the first step, a simple Excel Gantt Chart is created from scratch and based on that, the features of the final Ultimate Excel Gantt Chart are added step by step.
Simple Excel Gantt Chart
The initial Simple Excel Gantt Chart built in this tutorial has the following basic features:
- Basic visualization of a task schedule based on manually entered start and end dates
- Basic vizualization of each task progress
- Highlighting of the current day
This simple Excel Gantt Chart is available for free download in the download section.
Ultimate Excel Gantt Chart
The final Ultimate Excel Gantt Chart template built in this tutorial has the following advanced and interactive features:
- A separate settings area to define basic project details, a custom weekend and holidays definition, and the team members
- A scrollbar to allow scrolling the timeline to the right and left
- Weekends visualized in the Gantt Chart area (based on the weekend definition in the settings area)
- Holidays visualized in the Gantt Chart area (based on the holidays definition in the settings area)
- Forward scheduling to automatically calculate and visualize the end date of each tasks based on the amount of required workdays and a start date while taking into account weekends and holidays.
- Task dependencies to make tasks start dependent on another task’s start or end date
- Display or hide weekends and holidays to get dense schedule view
- Display overdue tasks to quickly visualize all tasks that are delayed
- Team member task assignment with dynamic coloring for a clear task responsibility via a drop down list input. The team member can be defined and automatically get a unique color code assigned that is displayed in the Gantt Chart next to the name and in the Gantt Chart area (if activated).